Delicious Brown Bag Chicken Recipes
- One 3- to 3 ½-pound chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion cut in half
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon hot Hungarian paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry, and take away any excess fat. Sprinkle kindly with salt and pepper to taste inside and out. Place the onion and rosemary inside the cavity and rub the outside of the chicken with the paprika.
- Lay a standard-sized brown paper grocery bag on its side and place the chicken inside, tying the top of the bag closed with kitchen string.
- Place the bagged chicken on a rimmed baking sheet in the lower third of the oven, so you have plenty of room at the top.
- Cook for 1 ½ hours, remove the chicken from the oven, and carefully open the bag to release the steam.
- Check for doneness by inserting an internal thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh; it should read about 165˚F and the juices should run clear when the thigh is pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before carving. Slice the breasts and cut the wings, legs, and thighs into pieces. Serve warm.