Italian-style courgette and parmesan soup
- 60ml/2fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- handful basil leaves (preferably Italian), chopped
- sea salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- 1kg/2¼lb green courgettes, cut lengthways into quarters then into 1cm/½in slices
- 750ml/1¼ pint chicken stock
- 60ml/2fl oz single cream
- handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 50g/2oz freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- crusty bread
- green salad
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat.
- Cook the garlic, basil, salt and courgette slowly for 10 minutes, or until the courgettes are lightly browned and softened.
- Add white pepper, to taste, then pour in the stock and simmer for 8 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the heat.
- Put three-quarters of the soup mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pan and stir in the cream, parsley and parmesan.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle over more parmesan, to taste. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins